Accessing and controlling various programs in your Windows XP is made easier by the shortcut icons and program access on the Start menu. Using the Start menu, users can have direct access to various programs installed on the system. The Start menu comes as a default display in Windows XP and the other icons on the desktop and task bar can be customized according to the choice of the users.
Occasionally, the Start menu view may disappear from its location or the program shortcuts on the taskbar may be gone. This is even worse when the desktop icons may disappear and saved files may be lost in the system. These problems will make it hard to launch a program or access files. The most common causes for this file disappearing maybe due to the error with the Windows Explorer or explorer.exe. The problem it cause may be serious and will reduce the activity of a user t nil.
All you need to do is follow the Windows XP help tips shared below to fix the problem in no time. These tips are provided by Microsoft to help you restore and recover from undesired changes.
Steps to Follow
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl, Alt and Del keys simultaneously. This action will display a pop-up window with various action options. Select the Start Task Manager option by clicking on it. This will open the Task Manager window.
- On the Task Manager window, locate and click on the tab labeled Processes. The action will display a new window with the list of programs that are presently running on the system.
- Scroll through the options and locate the file marked as explorer.exe. Click on it to highlight.
- The dialog box will give you the option to select an option. Click the button labeled End Process and then confirm the selection.
- Locate and click on the tab marked as Application. Click the New Task option.
- A new window labeled Create New Task will appear and type in explorer.exe in the field space. Confirm the actions by clicking on OK. This will display the Start menu again and bring back the lost icons to display.
These Windows XP help tips will guide you to successfully bring the necessary changes to recover the lost icons. You can even get instructions on how to recover deleted data from the help section!