While you delete programs, documents and other files from your computer, these items don’t get fully deleted; the fragments of these items will still remain your hard drive. In order to clean up these fragments you can make use of the in-built application called the disk defragmenter. But sometimes, this disk defragmenter tool will create an error saying that the utility is not present on your computer. Another problem which you might encounter, as pointed out by the Windows XP help team, is a missing “Defragment Now” button. To resolve this problem, you need to fix the disk defragmenter utility and restore the application to its default setting. This article contains instructions for doing the same.
Windows XP help instructions
To fix the defragmenter in Windows XP, all you have to do is to follow the instructions mentioned below.
Instructions for repairing the defragmenter utility
- Start off by closing all the files and programs that are currently opened.
- Continue with this procedure by clicking the Windows “Start” menu.
- Select the option “Run” from the start menu. This will open up the run dialog window.
- Type “%Windir%\Inf” without quotations in the run text box and hot the “Ok” button. This will open up the INF dialog box with a listing of files.
- Find the file titled “dfrg.inf” and right click on it.
- Click on the option which says “Install” from the given menu and the application will initiate the process of repairing your desk defragmenter utility.
- Close the “INF” dialog box by clicking on the “X” sign located in the upper right-hand corner of the respective window.
- Finally end this procedure by restarting your computer.
Instructions for reinstalling the defragmenter utility
- First close all the currently opened files and programs.
- Click on the “Start” button located on your desktop.
- Select the option which says “Run” from the start menu.
- This time, type “rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\dfrg.inf” in the run text box.
- Hit the “Ok” button and the reinstallation process of your disk defragmenter utility will begin. You will be prompted once the reinstallation process is complete.
- Finally reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.
That’s all with the Windows XP help instructions for fixing your defragmenter utility. Have a good day!