If your Windows XP operating detects an error of critical nature, you will be getting a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) containing some diagnostic information regarding the error. In this situation, Windows XP will try to send information to a log file and automatically restarts your computer.
But if you don’t want Windows XP to restart your computer restart automatically so that you can view the BSOD and note down the information for debugging latter, you need to do some tweaking. Remember that you need to be logged in as administrator for doing this. Also, keep in mind that you should not do this tweak on server machines. In this article you can find instructions for doing the same.
Windows XP help instructions
Mentioned below are the instructions provided by Windows XP help team which will guide you through the process of stopping your PC from restarting after a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death).
- Start off by clicking on the Windows “Start” button.
- Highlight the option labeled “Settings” located on the start menu.
- Select “Control Panel” from the settings menu.
- Make sure that your control panel is in classic view and click on the icon titled “System”. If incase your control panel is not in classic view, click on the option which says “Performance and Maintenance” and then “System”. This will open up the system properties window. Another way to open the system properties window is by right-clicking on the icon titled “My Computer” located on your desktop and selecting “Properties” from the given menu.
- Continue with this procedure by clicking on the tab tilted “Advanced”.
- Hit the button labeled “Settings” located next to “Startup and Recovery”. This will open up the “Startup and Recovery” dialog box.
- Unmark the check box which says “Automatically Restart”.
- Hit the “Ok” button to save the changes.
- Finally end this procedure by closing your Control Panel.
That’s all with the instructions provided by Windows XP help team for stopping your PC from restating automatically in the event of after BSOD (Blue Screen Death). If you are facing any problems while doing performing this tweak, it’s better to get the service of a technical support person which is also available online.